Behavioral health is a state of mental and emotional well-being and/or choices and actions that affect wellness. Behavioral health problems—such as depression, substance abuse and misuse, and suicidal thoughts—are not a normal part of aging, yet these issues impact many Older Americans.
Through aging, behavioral health, and disability network partnerships, AoA offers programs and resources to help older adults, persons with disabilities, and their family caregivers maintain their health and well-being.
States are enhancing the ability of their systems to educate, identify, refer, and provide appropriate services/interventions for older adults, persons with disabilities, and caregivers with or at risk for behavioral health problems. A variety of funding sources are supporting these efforts, such as the Older Americans Act Titles IIID, Medicare, Medicaid, Affordable Care Act Initiatives, and other flexible and targeted funding streams. Partnering with state and local agencies that have an interest and/or expertise in behavioral health services may be another way to provide and sustain services that support good health.
The Aging Network has implemented several behavioral health programs. Examples of some of these evidence-based behavioral health programs can be found on the following websites:
To play wav files you need a plug-in such as QuickTime, which is free to download.
- Suicide Prevention and Older Adults Recording and Slides (PDF, 5.96MB)
- Aging & Behavioral Health Partnerships — Strategies for SUCCESS! Recording and Slides (PDF, 3.25MB)
- Prescription Drug Misuse and Abuse Recording (WAV, 99.40MB) and Slides (PDF, 1.03MB)
- Evidence-Based Screening and Brief Interventions for Alcohol and Psychoactive Medication Misuse in Older Adults Recording (WAV, 246.64MB), Slides (PDF, 1.06MB), and Transcript (PDF, 100KB)
- Suicide Prevention (Webinar #1) Recording (WAV, 211.17MB) and Slides (PDF, 5.36MB)
- Suicide Prevention (Webinar #2) Recording (WAV, 291MB) and Slides (PDF, 5.70MB)
- Depression, Anxiety and Suicide Prevention Recording (WAV, 294.35MB), Slides (PDF, 1.97MB), and Transcript (PDF, 283KB)
- Alcohol and Psychoactive Medication Misuse and Abuse Prevention Recording (WAV, 148MB), Slides (PDF, 1.0MB), and Transcript (PDF, 188KB)
- Financing and Sustaining Evidence-Based Interventions (Webinar #1) — Recording (WAV, 300MB), Slides (PDF, 1.75MB), and Transcript (PDF, 111KB))
- Financing and Sustaining Evidence-Based Interventions (Webinar #2) — Recording (WAV, 298MB), Slides (PDF, 939KB), and Transcript (PDF, 192KB)
- Partnerships: Key to Behavioral Health Service Success — Recording (WAV, 260MB), Slides (PDF, 925KB), and Transcript (PDF, 117KB)
- Reaching and Engaging Older Adults in Behavioral Health — Recording (WAV, 280MB), Slides (PDF, 671KB), and Transcript (PDF, 119KB)
- Caregivers as Partners and Clients of Behavioral Health Services — Recording (WAV, 288MB), Slides (PDF, 1.43MB), Transcript (PDF, 57KB), and Resource List (PDF, 36KB)
* *The webinars are listed in order, beginning with the most recent webinar at the top.
- Older Adult Behavioral Health Series Overview (PDF, 1.2MB)
- Aging Services Network as a Partner in Behavioral Health in the Changing Health Care Environment (PDF, 509KB)
- Alcohol Abuse and Misuse Prevention
- Screening and Preventive Brief interventions for Alcohol and Psychoactive Medication Misuse/Abuse (PDF, 328KB)
- Preventing Suicide in Older Adults (PDF, 382KB)
- Prescription Medication Misuse and Abuse Among Older Adults (PDF, 349KB)
- Depression and Anxiety: Screening and Intervention (PDF, 336KB)
- Using the RE-AIM Implementation Framework to Improve Behavioral Health (PDF, 423KB)
- Integration of Behavioral Health and Physical Health Care (PDF, 919KB)
- Financing and Sustaining Older Adult Behavioral Health and Supportive Services (PDF, 717KB )
- Expanding Home- and Community-based Behavioral Health Services for Older Adults (PDF, 937KB)
- Reaching Diverse Older Adult Populations and Engaging Them in Prevention Services and Early Interventions (PDF, 1.04MB)
- Caregivers as Partners and Clients of Behavioral Health Services (PDF, 578KB)
State Behavioral Health Profiles